DECENTRALISED ADMINISTRATION OF ATTICA: CAPACITY TO ENCOURAGE LOCAL ACTORS
Attica Region is a second level local government organisation (nuts 2), which has its headquarters in Athens. It consists of eight (8) Regional Divisions: Central Athens, Southern Athens, Northern Athens, Western Athens, Piraeus, Saronic Islands, Western Attica and Eastern Attica.
The urban region of Athens is by far the most populated area in the country (concentrating about 36% of the national population and 38% of the national active population). At the same time, it is the main national centre of economic and developmental activity although, indicators concerning R&D expenditures confirm the relatively disadvantaged position of the region in the knowledge-based economy. It is also an area where social cohesion issues are important (unemployment rates are relatively higher than the EU27 average, especially concerning long-term, female and youth unemployment and international migration has been very strong during the last 15 years).
Attica Region, is organized by law as a metropolitan region, plans and implements policies at regional level, within its jurisdiction, in compliance with the principles of sustainable development and social cohesion of the State, taking into account the National and European policies on the following sectors:
- Planning & Development (management of regional operational programs, development planning for the region and implementation of relevant actions)
- Infrastructure, Transport & Communications (regional projects, development of national road network studies, maritime transport, regional ports etc)
- Environment & Climate Change (solid waste management, supervision of regional associations and management bodies for the Protection, Rehabilitation and Development of Protected Areas, Creation and rehabilitation of green and communal spaces )
- Energy, Industry & Natural Resources Employment, Trade & Tourism
- Education, Culture &Sport (lifelong learning, education and training, actions in the sector of Employment, financed by the Operational Program Employment and Professional Training and in EU Initiative EQUAL, actions for the growth of structures of social care that is included in the EQUAL Program)
- Agriculture, Farming & Fishery
- Civil Protection (Flood-preventing works)
KNOWING - Knowledge Intelligence and Innovation for a Sustainable Growth (MED)
The project enhances the cooperation of public institutions, innovation organizations, key institutional and economic actors and promotes the “knowledge economy” by launching a transnational dialogue platform on policies, tools and strategies for attracting and creating “innovation“.
The participant partners of the project come from Greece, Italy, Spain, Portugal and United Kingdom.
2InS Clusters Project – SMEs’ Innovation and Internationalization Support Clusters (MED)
The project aims at the design and validation of a transnational coordinated Integrated Framework for the establishment of viable collaborative platforms, whose mission will be to promote and enhance regional competitiveness and develop sustainable SMEs through the support of knowledge-based and internationalized entrepreneurship and the promotion of the “Creative Economy” and innovation.
The project is comprised of nine partners from Greece, France, Italy, Spain and Malta.
SusTEn Mechanism – Sustainable Tourism Entrepreneurship Mechanism (MED)
The main objective of the project is to design and practice a framework that will provide a systemic and systematic approach of rational planning and implementation of strategies, policies and measures for effective management of natural and cultural resources at the local/regional level, based upon the development of sustainable entrepreneurship in the Tourism and its “neighbouring” sectors.
Greece, Italy, Spain, France and Slovenia participate in the project.
WO.ME.N Mechanism - Women Mobility Enhancement Mechanism (ESF - PROGRESS)
The project aims at serving mobility in the EU through support services to employed, self-employed and unemployed women in the Culture related business, stressing on rational vocational orientation/re-orientation and on lifelong improvement and personal development.
WO.M.EN. Mechanism involves five organizations from Greece and Italy.
A structured network for integration of climate knowledge into policy and territorial planning.
Transnational Cooperation Programme South East Europe.
Employment Program of the Region of Attica
Region of Attica in collaboration with non-governmental organizations focuses on the enhancement of young people’s mobility through effective employment policies, the implementation of employment actions especially for long-unemployed people and special social groups and the improvement of the employment policies.
The community service programs will cover the sectors of Rural Development, Culture, Urban Environment, Social Welfare and Natural Environment and Green.
STRUCTURAL FUNDS PROJECTS
- Actions for the enhancement of social cohesion and the improvement of the quality of life of the elderly and of citizens in need: ” Help at home” – Social Care Program funded by the ERDF
- Social Care Program “Day care centres/units for the elderly” funded by the European Social Fund
- Training of Unemployed in Certified Vocational Training Centres funded by the European Social Fund
- Consolidated combined transport system in the Region of Attica – funded by the ERDF
- Integrated Program for Tourism Promotion in Attica Region 2010-2015 funded by the ERDF